Easy creamy leek soup recipe2
Are you one of those people who have only ever had leeks a handful of times, prepared by someone else? Or do you pass them by when you see them in the grocery store because you have no idea what to do with them? Leeks are sweet and subtle in flavor, and they’re full of vitamins A, C and K, along with B-vitamins like B6, folate and minerals such as manganese, magnesium and trace minerals. Most people are familiar with leek soup, and this creamy leek soup recipe is easy to prepare, and made extra delicious when dressed with homemade crispy bacon bits.
If you’re wary of leeks because they just look like giant green onions – this soup recipe has passed the palate of the resident 7 year-old taste-tester, who doesn’t normally like anything too onion-y. In fact, he loved this soup so much, that he specifically requested the leftovers as an after-school snack one day. Yes, it’s that good, so don’t be surprised if your child asks for it too.
Note that this soup requires the use of an immersion blender to purée it down to a nice creamy consistency. If you don’t have a stick blender, it does work well without blending, as a creamy, rustic soup.
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 large leeks or 3 medium sized leeks, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups of bone broth
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- optional: chopped crispy bacon bits for garnish
- In a stockpot, melt coconut oil at medium-high heat and sauté garlic until slightly browned. Add the onions and chopped leeks to the stockpot until everything is well-softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add the ground cumin and add the bone broth to the stockpot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the soup for about 10 minutes. (While you’re simmering this is a good time to fry up some chopped bacon until it’s nice and crispy).
- Stir in the coconut milk, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender right in the stockpot.
- To serve, garnish with bacon bits of a dollop of coconut milk. Enjoy!
Check out this incredible Community Cookbook that features over 50 different soup recipes.
- 47+ of those recipes are Gluten-Free
- 33 + are Dairy-Free
- 30+ are Paleo-friendly
- 25+ are GAPS Diet-friendly
- 127 pages with full-color photos and easy-to-follow directions
- Ingredients are 100% REAL FOOD
- Only $9.97 – that’s only $0.19 a recipe!
- Coconut milk curry beef stew crock pot recipe, with AIP option
- Simple homemade apple pie recipe (gluten-free, vegan, Paleo & AIP-friendly)
- Easy homemade vegan and paleo mini pumpkin pie recipe
- Lemon Ginger Chicken Thighs (Paleo, Primal, 21DSD & AIP)
- Paleo Cantonese Chow Mein Recipe
All of the links on TheRealFoodGuide.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by The Real Food Guide.