Homemade baked apple chips recipe6
Looking for fun healthy snacks for kids? These homemade apple chips make for healthy fruit snacks – perfect for back-to-school snacking. This apple chip recipe is simple enough that it’s more a set of instructions than an actual recipe. Kids can help by laying the thin apple slices on the baking trays or dehydrator racks, but because of the thin slices required, adults should be the ones manning the knife or mandoline slicer. Check out the table at the end of this post for a comparison of six popular dehydrator models.
I’ve included instructions for both baked apple chips and dehydrated apple chips. And if you’ve got a surplus of apples and you don’t know what else to do with them, might I suggest our apple sauce recipe as well? Or, if you’re looking for other dried fruit recipes, check out our banana chips recipe, or dehydrated watermelon – make your own natural watermelon candy.
Now, onto the apple chips recipe – be forewarned though, that these are so tasty that they won’t last long!
- 3 - 5 large apples (3 apples is good for two baking sheets. Dehydrator sizes vary but my 5-rack round dehydrator fits 5 apples worth of chips)
- Parchment paper (for baking only)
- Juice of half a lemon (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- If baking, pre-heat your oven to 225F. If dehydrating, set your dehydrator to 140F, but there is no need to pre-heat.
- You can peel your apples, or leave the skin on. (I recommend organic apples if you leave the skin on, or soak your apples in bowl containing a water and a splash of apple cider vinegar for 20 minutes. Rinse the vinegar solution with water to remove any residue). Leaving the skin on adds crunch, but it does impart the flavor of the skin to the chips.
- Slice your apples to a thickness of about 1/8" or thinner with a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer.
- Optional, to reduce discoloration of apples: Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into a small bowl, and dilute this with water (about a 1:1 ratio). Dip each apple slice in the juice.
- Pat your apple slices dry and place them in a single layer onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets (if baking), or directly onto your dehydrator racks. Make sure not to have your chips overlap or else they will stick together.
- Bake at 225F for 1.5 to 2 hours. Flip the chips after about 45-60 minutes of baking and let them cool in the oven for maximum crispness. If dehydrating, set your dehydrator to 140F and dry for about 8 hours for crispy chips.
- Apple chips should be stored in an airtight container to maintain crispness. Enjoy!
Food Dehydrator Comparison Table
|Name||Price||Description||Weight (pounds)||Limited Warranty (yr)||Watts|
|Nesco Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator||$||Top-mounted fan, adjustable thermostat from 95-to-160°F; Flavors don't mix, no need to rotate trays, opaque exterior blocks harmful lights; Includes recipe book, 2 solid sheets, 2 mesh sheets, and 3 jerky spice packets||9||1||600|
|Excalibur Food Dehydrator||$$$||9-Tray dehydrator, 15 square feet of drying space; Built in on/off switch and adjustable thermostat with 26 hour timer; Includes and flexible polyscreen tray inserts to prevent foods from sticking; Great for large familes and gardens||22||10||440|
|Nesco American Harvest 1000-watt Food Dehydrator Kit||$$||Expandable to 30 trays; Adjustable Thermostat; Includes 8 each Trays, Fruit Roll Sheets, Clean a Screens; Includes How to Dry Foods Book||20||1||1000|
|L'Equip Dehydrator||$$||Adjustable thermostat with computer-controlled sensor; 6 stacking trays for a total of 12 square feet of drying space; Instructional booklet with recipes and drying times included||11||10||500|
|Nesco American Harvest 400-watt Food Dehydrator||$||Expandable to 7 trays; Clear top to monitor the drying process; Fan forced radial air flow means no tray rotation needed; All components dishwasher safe except the power head||5||1||400|
|Sedona Digitally Controlled Food Dehydrator||$$$$||Easy on/off switch, electronic digital display with digital temperature control and timer; Quiet, energy efficient operation; See-through glass door; BPA free plastic trays and tray mesh screens; Dual fan technology||23||5||550|