Homemade oven baked french fries recipe7
Oh french fries – how I love thee: your crisp, salty, savory perfection. It used to be that the best french fries were to be found at some greasy spoon, or a chip stand off some industrial road. But, you can make your own homemade oven baked french fries yourself. And because you control the type of oil (and how fresh it is), and not actually deep-fry them in some questionable quality vegetable oil, making them at home is certainly a better-for-you option than driving down to that chip truck. Best of all, the same recipe can be used to turn other root vegetables into alternative healthy french fries – now, they won’t taste the same as your humble white potato, but they’ll certainly be delicious, since the browning of the veggies in the oven adds a nice caramelized flavor, and they’ll add some variety.
What are the best potatoes for french fries?
Making the best fries ever means picking the best potato: ideally, you’ll want a ‘mealy’ or ‘floury’ potato like a Russet, Idaho or (my personal favorite), a Yukon Gold. They have less moisture than some other potato varieties, which mean they’ll crisp up nicely in the oven. “Waxy” potatoes will also work for french fries of course, but they may end up being slightly mushier than the floury potatoes.
Looking to french fry some other vegetable? I recommend using this same recipe for carrots, beets or parsnips.
- ~ 3 lbs of root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnips)
- ~ 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Roughly cut root vegetables into big, thick fries, about a 1/2" thick.
- In a pan, toss them with coconut oil and sea salt for about 5 minutes while pre-heating the oven at 400F.
- Spread the fries in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. (For 3 lbs worth, you'll need two cookie sheets.)
- Bake for 45 minutes total, tossing them about half-way through the total bake time to ensure that they are evenly roasted. Enjoy!
- Bacon wrapped dates recipe – only the best easy appetizer recipe ever
- Homemade baked apple chips recipe
- Don’t Waste Food: Give Ugly A Chance
- Easy homemade vegan and paleo fudgy brownie recipe
- Simple homemade apple pie recipe (gluten-free, vegan, Paleo & AIP-friendly)
All of the links on TheRealFoodGuide.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by The Real Food Guide.