Coconut milk curry beef stew crock pot recipe2
A lot of people are kicking off the New Year with a resolution or a goal in mind (or maybe just three words to guide them along), but one of the most common promises come January is one to eat better. For many people, this is the perfect time to take on the whole30 challenge, which is one way to clean-up your diet for an entire month, as it removes all processed foods, sugars, grains (along with gluten), dairy and more. If you’re familiar with the Paleo diet, then the whole30 is the tighten-your-belt-and-be-more-strict version of it.
In any case, this beef stew crock pot recipe is perfect for a new start and a new year. Why? First off, it’s a slow cooker recipe, and slow cooker recipes help to get you back into the routine of having meals at a regular time and get you out of holiday mode. You do the prep, go away for your work day and you come home to a house that smells wonderfully like dinner. All you have to do is add the last bit of salt to taste, and dinner’s on the table! This stew is made with plenty of winter root vegetables too, because that’s what’s readily available and they make it a good, stick-to-your-ribs kind of meal. Make sure not to skip the first step of browning the meat: not only does this add flavor, but if you skip it, your meat ends up tasting watery (ask me how I know).
One note though – this stew is delicious and awesome and tasty and all sorts of adjectives, but if I was to fault it, it would be that it’s a bit soupy. In fact, I was going to call this a chunky soup (you know, something that you eat like a meal. What a great ad tag that would… oh wait). But I’m calling it a stew because it’s got stewing beef in it. So soup, stew, sweet poTAto, sweet poTAHto, just call it ‘dinner’.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 pounds of stewing beef, cut to about 2" cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups chopped onion (2 medium onions)
- 2 cups chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 2 cups chopped parsnips (3 small parsnips)
- 1.5 cups chopped sweet potato (1 medium sweet potato)
- 3 cups bone broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- salt to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Brown the stewing beef, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Sprinkle about a 1/4 tsp of salt over the beef as it cooks. The beef just needs to be lightly seared and not fully cooked.Transfer the beef pieces into the crock pot (3 quart size) once they have been browned on all sides.
- Add onions and celery to the same pan that the beef was cooked in. Brown the onions and celery for about five minutes and then add them to the crock pot.
- Add the chopped carrots, parsnips and sweet potato to the crock pot.
- In a small bowl mix together the bone broth, coconut milk and curry powder. Pour this mixture over the contents of the crock pot. Cover and cook on the low setting of the crock pot for 8 hours, or on the high setting for 4 hours.
- When done, salt to taste and enjoy!
Looking for more paleo or gluten-free slow cooker recipes? This recipe was included in this round up of 125+ Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Recipes.
You may also want to check out these slow cooker recipe books: